Welcome: An Introduction

Sharing the insights I discover as I explore and experience the mystery that is our reality. Join me in my journey and share yours.




Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Praying God's Promises

"A fixed, constant attention to the promises, and a firm belief of them would prevent solicitude and anxiety about the concerns of this life. It would keep the mind quiet and composed in every change, and supprt and keep up our sinking spirits under the several troubles of life...Christians deprive themselves of their most solid comforts by their unbelief and forgetfulness of God's promises. For there is no extremity so great, but there are promies suitable to it, and abundantly sufficent for our relief in it.

A thorough acquaintence with the promises would be of the greatest advantage in prayer. With what comfort may the Christian address himself to God in Christ when he considers the repeated assurances that his prayers shall be heard!  With how much satsifaction may he offer up the several desires of his heart when he reflects upon the texts wherein those very mercies are promised! And with what fervour of spirit and strength of faith may he enforce his prayers, by pleading the several gracious promises which are expressly to his case!" ~ Samuel Clark

When I read this quote this morning  in the book I'm reading, Knowing God, by J.I. Packer, I couldn't help but be inspired to flip through my Bible a bit and see if I could come up with some verses that contained some of the promises God has for His children that might be useful in prayer. What a great idea for one's quiet time! God really blessed me for digging into His word and discovering and rediscovering some of His promises. I'd encourage anyone reading this to try that activity sometime if you haven't already :)

These are some of the ones I came up with...do you have any one's you like in particular that you would add to the list? Please do! (The italics are my doing, I just added them to some verses to point out the promise!)




Psalm 62: 8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.

Psalm 63:11 But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall glory; for the mouths of liars will be stopped.

Psalm 61: 3 for thou art my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.

Psalm 56: 13 For thou has delivered my soul from death, yea, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. (I love this one!!!)

Psalm 55: 16 But I call upon God; and the Lord will save me.

Psalm 46:1-3 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (2) Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; (3) though its waters roar and foam , though the mountains tremble with its tumult. (I love these too!)

Psalm 37: 28 For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints.

Psalm 37: 18-19 The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will abide forever; (19) they are not put to shame in evil times, in the days of famine they have abundance.

Psalm 37: 5-6 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. (6) He will bring forth your vindication as the light and your right as the noonday.

Psalm 34:7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers him.

Psalm 34:22 The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.

John 15:7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.

John 4:14 But whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst; the water that I shall give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things in him who strengthens me.

Psalm 55:17-18 Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and he will hear my voice. (18) He will deliver my soul in safety from the battle that I wage, fo rmany are arrayed against me.

2 comments:

  1. 'When I read this quote this morning in the book I'm reading, Knowing God, by J.I. Packer,'

    I managed to quote the book a bit in my PhD thesis.

    The promises of restored creation are key for theodicy.

    Russ:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm learning a lot from J.I. Packer :) There are so many great Christian writers, though I feel I haven't even gotten to read but a fraction of them yet! Any suggestions? :)

    (I have to admit I didn't know a lot about what "theodicy" was until I read your blog and got intrigued by the concept and googled it. I hadn't really heard that term before...or recalled reading it anyways...I think the concept of evil existing while also existing is an ominpotent God is one that does trip up a lot of people, and tripped me up for sometime as well. A worthy and fascinating thing to study!)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete